Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pardon my French...


Apple seems to desperately want to hold on to their grip on the iPhone and their deals with the various providers (obviously to monetize the hell out of it) and while they are playing catch-up with the hacker and reverse engineering community they were dealt another blow in France.
Apparently (and I'm quoting Muniwireless here): "French law prohibits operators from bundling phones exclusively with their service so they can subsidize a phone and offer it at a lower price to a customer, but they must sell it (even at a higher price) to a customer if he or she wants."
I would have to research it but suspect that a number of other countries have similar laws and if anybody with knowledge of EU law reads this I would be interested to hear if there is any EU legislation in this area.

I sincerely hope that Apple see the light and stop this ridiculous behaviour. While I agree that buying a locked phone and hacking it is a grey area they should make an unlocked version of the phone available to the general public.

kick it on kick.ie

No comments:

Blog Archive