Friday, April 04, 2008

Open Coffee Club BBQ.



I've been harping on for months now about organising an OCC meeting somewhere closer to home. One of the locations that I have suggested was Terryglass, Co. Tipperary. It's not exactly the centre of the universe but it is in a great settings on the shores of Lough Derg within driving distance of Limerick, Galway etc.
Internet connectivity is also not a problem as I have installed a wifi hotspot in a local restaurant/pub with free public access.
There was never much interest until a few days ago when a discussion was started spanning both Twitter & Jaiku about alternative locations. I first mentioned that I wouldn't mind hosting an OCC meeting in the Technology centre in Birr, Co.Offaly where we have our offices. Then someone brought up my suggestion of Terryglass.
I chipped in with the mention of a suitable location and free wifi and things spun of from there.
Conor O'Neill mentioned planning it during the summer and having a OCC BBQ. An idea that was wlecomed by quite a few people!
As it turns out a friend of mine lives a few miles from Terryglass and he won the All-Ireland BBQ championships a few years back. I am sure that I can convince him to display the dark art of BBQ-ing Irish stylee.
So now it looks like we might be on to a good thing!
I am talking with some people in Terryglass today about venues and possible sponsorship. As some people might want to stay overnight I will also look into the accomodation options.
All we need to do now is pick a date....
Personally I think a mid-week date somewhere in June or July would be best. By avoiding the weekend we will possible have a bit more room to sit.
In order to get an idea of how many people would be interested I would appreciate it if anyone who thinks that they might like to attend would email me at evert-at-airappz.com
For those of you who are not familiar with Open Coffee Clubs I suggest that you have a look here.

No comments:

Blog Archive